Friday, June 3, 2011

In the spirit of safety

My life lately has involved some calculated risk taking. Being a young female living in a bigger city, I don't take unnecessarily large risks simply because I'd have to clean up my own mess. But life would be so boring without them, right?


Here is my checklist for risk calculation. 
1) Will it cost me any money? 

2) Will any of my bones be broken?
3) Will my car be in danger?
4) If I yell loudly, will someone hear me?
5) Will it be dark? (I don't really care for the dark. Like, not really at all.)
If the answer to most or all of these questions (except number 4)  is no, then I will probably participate in whatever risk it is that I am contemplating. For example. Today, I took a nap in a community park. No, not in the big city community. In a smaller one. Here was the checklist.

1) Will it cost me any money: No, naps are for free. Thank the lord baby jesus.
2) Will any of my bones be broken: Only if I sleep really violently.
3) Will my car be in danger: No, I was sleeping right next to it.
4) If I yell loudly, will someone hear me: Yes actually. There were workers in the park doing landscaping. I'm sure they would have come to my aid. 
5) Will it be dark: No, that was the whole point of the nap. It was sunny and warm and I had a blanket to lay on. 

I also propped open a book in front of my face so it actually looked like I was reading until you got close enough to see that my eyes were shut. I've been told I always look like my eyes are shut, so they would have had to get really close to tell the difference. 

Let me just tell you. Those 30 minutes were the most glorious minutes I've had all week. Nothing like a warm sunny nap to recharge your battery. 

Now, to address my Alaska trip (which is happening in a week and a day.) I've been doing a little research on Denali (where we will be spending much of our time) and this is what I've learned. 

Wildlife will include caribou, grizzlies and wolves. 
The number of hikers permitted on any trail is limited. Does this mean that even though there are 6 million acres of park (quite literally) I might not be able to hike? It better mean that they don't want everyone hiking in the same spot. If I have to sit in the lodge and think of all the fabulously dangerous scenarios I'm not allowed to get myself into, Ima be mad! 
Park rangers use sled dogs to navigate the park. I wonder what sort of sled dog team I could get if I traded my car in? 

Generally, there are no trails in the park......I think I need a compass. I tend to be directionally challenged. Like the time I tried to get to a city that was 45 minutes away and passed it up, almost ending up 2 hours from my original destination. My friends all know that before I got my gps I relied heavily on my cell phone and their use of google maps to find my sorry butt.
BRFC is a common term in Denali. It stands for "Bear Resistant Food Container." They look something like this, and are free at the park..
I'm pretty sure this is what bears think about them...

Campfires are not permitted, but don't worry. They say you should bring anything smoked or heavily scented. I wonder why... I'm also going to need to invest in some heavy duty bug spray, as well as the recommended emergency gear - a lighter, first aid kit, a knife, and a "signaling device" like a whistle. It seems that while a whistle in the city could mean a football game is underway, in Denali, it means trouble. Of a furry type...

I hope you all feel as reassured as I am now! 



No comments:

Post a Comment