Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hi ho, hi ho, its off to work I go

Silly Alaska Fact: Owners of flamingos may not let their pet into barber shops.



What if my flamingo needs a haircut? Badly? 

I know I haven't posted in a while, and that has a heck of a lot to do with the fact that I need to pass a few of these classes I'm in to graduate (you know, no big deal), but per a request and some inspiration I had today, I have some words for y'all. 

They start a little like this....  Hi ho, hi ho, its off to work we go....
Whistle whistle whistle whistle...

No, I have not actually ever carried a pick ax to work, or a lantern (actually, false, I had to carry a flashlight once). But, over the course of my education, in order to broaden my horizons and add some weight to my wallet, I have had a series of rather interesting jobs. Again, I could probably devote an entire blog to each one of these experiences, but I'll fill you in on the nitty gritty.

Job 1: Lab Assistant
Somehow, by blind luck and a little charm, I got myself a job as a lab assistant for a botany professor my freshman year in college. Did I know anything at all about botany? No. Actually, I'm pretty sure I got poison ivy that summer, despite constant warnings from my parents when I was a child. Luckily for me, most of the research that particular professor was doing had to do with botany education, which was right down my alley. I learned all about grunt work, typing transcriptions for 20 hours a week. Seriously, all you do is listen to a super slowed down tape recording and type what people are saying. When you finally take the headphones off at the end of the day, you think the whole world was moving by as slowly as the recording was. But, it was a great job. Flexible hours. I learned a lot, and I did actually get to do a few things with plants before my time was up.
Which leads me to job 2: The RA
Yeahhhhhhh. 3 years and a junior police badge later, I am still a resident assistant at this fine institution. What am I supposed to do in this job? Well, I think I'm supposed to enforce rules and teach college students how to live together and better themselves. This is what they tell you the job is going to be like.


 What do I end up doing?

Actually, I just found the perfect gift that every RA should receive upon accepting the position.


This is what it probably says on the inside of that book:
1) Lock your door. Always. Even if you do this, more than likely your own staff will key in to your room and scare the bajesus out of you.
2) Within the first 2 months you will develop PTSD that is brought on by the sound of a knock on your door. Why? Because when people knock, something awful has ALWAYS happened.
3) If you let them, your residents will be your best friends. They will never leave your room. This is what the office you work for wants you to do. However, it makes all rule enforcement very awkward. It also makes sleeping difficult because people will always be in your bed.
4) Just wait until you find out how much paperwork you get to do. Every student has 30 papers attached to them. Every move you make has 5 papers attached to it. You will spend the next year(s) of your life trying to convince your boss that its okay that you haven't done all your paperwork. 
5) You could have a really good boss or a really bad boss. If you have a good boss, you will be a super RA. If you have a bad boss, you will want to quit your job immediately.
6) If you do want to quit your job immediately, you probably can't. Remember, you signed a housing contract and you probably became an RA because you needed the money. Prepare to pay.
7) Ever heard of programming? Yes, programming like a full time paid professional does for organizations. Guess what. That's part of your job too. 
8) On the nights when you are so tired you think your eyes are going to fall out of your head, you will have to stay up and be on duty. Try not to fall down the stairs or lock yourself out on these nights.
9) All of your friends will be other RA's. If you have friends that aren't RA's they will either become RA's or they will not remain friends with you.
10) No one will understand your job and everyone will tell you that you get paid to do nothing.

Now, while the above are a little gloomy and doomy, they are legit true. They aren't the whole truth though. True story: I LOVED my first year as an RA. The second and third left a little to be desired. It may go to show that too much of a good thing is a horrible thing. Moral: Be an RA for only one year. The end.

Summer Jobs: Camp Counselor and Customer Service

Although summer jobs are only a few months of the year, they are full time so they tend to be quite the experience. For 2 summers I worked as a camp counselor for a day camp in my home town. And if you've ever been a camp counselor, you will understand what I'm about to outline.

A day in the life:
Hours 1: I can do this, I can do this!
Hour 2: None of these activities are going to work today but I'm still expected to do them.
Hour 3: If the directors think these will work, they need to get out here and try it themselves.
Hour 4: When is lunch time?
Hour 5: We made it to lunch time. We might make it through the day. Good thing I brought enough food to feed every child. They love Nilla Wafers. They will beg like dogs.
Hour 6: Please just let me sit by this pool and make sure no one drowns.
Hour 7: I am burnt and so are all the campers. Why do we go to the pool every day? Also, why does the kid that can't swim always end up in the deep end?
Hour 8: If their parents don't get here soon, I can't be held responsible for what may happen.

Again, this job didn't traumatize me. But after 40 hours a week for an entire summer, you are ready to be done with the shenanigans. 

My most recent summer job was quite a change from anything I've ever done. Working as a student manager for summer conferences at my school, I got a full range of management training on top of some sick customer service skills. 


This is exactly how I answered the phone. Well, at least with this mindset. I learned how to make people happy and still get my job done. All while driving a golf cart! 

Yeahhhhhhhhhh :)

All in all, I've had some pretty nice jobs that have seen me through the bills and managed to make me a little stronger along the way. As I begin the more professional job search of post college-ness, I find the market a tough one. Even for a science teacher. Most recently, I applied for a job to be a moth catcher....


Yup, sorta like that:)
We'll see what comes of it, but I'm more than glad to spend the summer catching insects. I'm like a frog...only less slimy. 

Thanks for reading :)


1 comment:

  1. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH BHAHAHAHAHAHAH BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

    ReplyDelete